Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Blog Assignment 9

Mr. McClungMr. Joe McClung decided that after this first year of teaching that he would reflect on his year by writing a blog post.  During his first year of teaching he was at an elementary school in Noel, Missouri.  

As teachers, we need to make our lessons student centered.  In the end it is not the administration who needs to learn the material, its the students.  The most important concept is that the students need to comprehend the material.  If they are not understanding, we as teachers need to change things up so that the students are able to learn.  Like Mr. McClung said, "In order to be effective you have to let your audience drive your instruction."

I knew coming into the education career that I would need to be flexible.  Throughout my school years, I have always wanted to make sure everything I have planned works out perfectly.  As teachers, we need to make sure that we are flexible and that if what we have planned for the lesson doesn't go over well, that it's okay.    We need to remember that it's okay to make mistakes.  I agree with Mr. McClung 100% on this.  It's a great reminder to know that we don't have to be perfect as teachers.

We need to care about our students lives, not just in the classroom, but outside of the class as well.  As Mr. McClung said, we need to build respect from our students and to do that we must get to know them personally and show them that we care.  In my opinion, when you show a student that you care they will want to learn more from you.  They will be more willing to listen to what you have to say.  

During Mr. McClung's 3rd year of teaching, he was at school in Fayetteville, Arkansas.  In this blog post he reflects on what he's learned throughout his 3rd year and explains how he continues to keep learning from his students. 

CrayonsDon't be afraid to be an outsider.  This really sticks out to me.  I know that when I was growing up I always tried to fit in with my peers.  Throughout college, I have learned that I need to stick up for what I believe to be right, not what others think just so I will fit in.  Mr. McClung wrote about how you don't need to seek approval from the other teachers.  I think it's very important to build relationships with your students.  In the end it's not about being accepted by the other teachers, but that your students are learning.  I hope one day that I'm able to not be hurt by what other teachers think of me if I don't happen to fit in.

Since I am going to be a math teacher it is VERY important that the students are able to work the problems on their own.  The best way to learn math is to practice, practice, practice.  I know from tutoring in the past that it is very easy to help a student who is struggling by basically doing the problem for them.  This is not okay! As Mr. McClung said, "Don't Touch the Keyboard."  Basically meaning, don't do the work for them even if they can't seem to figure it out.  In the long run it will help the student because they are able to do it on their own.  

We cannot get comfortable.  If we choose as teachers to "get comfortable" in our classrooms, then we will stop learning and this will hinder our students' learning.  If we don't seem interested as teachers, how can we expect our students to stay interested?  In my classroom one day I want students to be motivated, but that means I must be motivated as well.  We need to be passionate about what we do because that really does have an effect on the students overall achievement. 


2 comments:

  1. You did a great job relating Mr. McClung's advice to to your life. I hope it sticks with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erika.
    My name is Mckinley Kennedy and I was assigned to read and comment on your Blog Post #9. You did a really great job summarizing and relating your own future teaching methods in this blog. I cant wait to start teaching! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete