Thursday, March 22, 2012

Blog Assignment 8

This is How We Dream
These videos, part 1 and part 2, by Richard Miller were very interesting. To quickly summarize, Mr. Miller is emphasizing how important it is for technology to be incorporated in the classroom today.  There are many tools available today to use that can enhance the learning experience.

Back a few years ago it was impossible to do research without the use of a library.  You had to check out books and spend hours trying to find what you were looking for in them.  With today's internet capabilities, we don't even need to go to the library to complete a research assignment.  You can find books, journals, and much more at the click of a button.  This makes doing research much more bearable.  For me though, I think it's still important to use the library as a resource for research.  I don't want the library resources to disappear all together.  It's important to be able to find a book in the library.  Also, sources online are not always reliable.  You have to make sure you find a reliable source.  Books at the library tend to be much more reliable than a website that "Joe Schmo" put together.

Skype ConferenceWith things like Google Docs, Skype, Twitter, Facebook, and one I just found called Scribblar.  These tools allow you to interact with others without being together in person.  I could work with someone across the world on a project and never have to meet them face to face.  This collaboration tool, Scribblar, that I came across is a virtual whiteboard.  Since I am going into math, this could be a great tool for tutoring.  Collaborating across the web is a great way to use technology and I think Mr. Miller hit the nail on the head when talking about how useful it is.  I plan to use this technique throughout the rest of my college career and when I begin teaching.

Carly's Blog Assignment
Carly Pugh was given the task of creating her own blog assignment.  She came up with a brilliant idea of creating a YouTube playlist of videos that correspond to your own teaching philosophy.  I think it's a wonderful idea.  For me, being able to watch videos it catches my attention more and I feel that I learn more because of it.  When I'm reading, I tend to lose my train of thought and forget what I'm reading.  YouTube videos can enhance your classroom if used effectively.  I think that Carly also wants what Richard Miller wants - technology in the classroom.  They both want it to be incorporated and used effectively.

Student Produced Videos
The Chipper Series and EDM 310 for Dummies are videos created by previous EDM 310 students.  Making videos are fun and are a great way to learn too.  I think an idea to make a video would be to do something like the Today Show.  You could have different segments about different topics going on in the classroom.  There could be parts for interviews and fun crafts too.  There are so many opportunities when making videos for your classroom.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn
We all know that the style of teaching in a classroom is changing everyday.  In this video, different thoughts are thrown out about how the classroom has evolved so much.  Technology is not something we can avoid.  Students need to learn to properly use these resources.  For the most part I agree with this video.  Some of the people in the video, to me, made it seem like the teacher is there to facilitate and that the student would be doing all the work.  I think it's the teachers job to teach the students.  If the teacher is globally connected, they can easily show the students how to be globally connected which can help them in the long run.  There are so many ways a student can learn by using these technologies, but I still think it's the teachers job to teach the students.  The students need more than just the technology.  They need someone to be accountable for them. If they are just on the internet "connecting," who knows what they may be up to.  Overall, a very insightful video.

Scavenger Hunt

Edmondo screenshot
1.) Edmodo is a social networking site that is almost identical to Facebook. On their site there is a preview video of how it works.  You set up your classroom and you're allowed to communicate professionally with students and their parents.  Grades can be posted, tests can be marked on calendars, and students can ask questions and collaborate back and forth.  The teacher can take a poll and give assignments.  This definitely could be a site I see myself using in my classroom one day.

2.) Prezi is a site where you can make a presentation like this one.  This is a free service and after playing around with it, it's kind of fun to do!  This is great for presentations about anything.  You can privately or publicly share your Prezi and you're allowed up to 500mb of presentations, which is quite a lot!

3.) Photo Peach is a great video tool for the classroom.  As a teacher, you are able to create and organize projects for the students to do without having multiple student accounts.  There is a privacy feature that the students work will not be displayed unless otherwise changed.  The prices are reasonable if you plan to use this service regularly.  You are able to add photos, text, and music to the video.  It looks like a great tool for the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that libraries are still a reliable resource for research. Technology has increased significantly than a few years ago, but like you said, you have to be careful about trusting those resources. You always have to double check what sources you use from the internet.

    It's pretty cool that you found a new tool called Scribblar and it is quite interesting to read about too! Mr. Miller really did hit the nail on the head with how useful technology is. Carly Pugh did a great job expressing it as well and I agree about how they both want it incorporated and used effectively.

    There are many ways to express on video ideas about what to do in the classroom. I like your idea about the segment like the today show, there is so many ideas you can do with that! I also think that videos are a great way to learn and improve with the usage of technology. The learn to change, change to learn video was very insightful and very ideal on technology. Whether teachers are right in the classroom or a thousand miles away connected via webcam,teacher are needed so students can accurately and sufficiently do research, watch educational videos, learn about how technology is more efficient then sitting in a classroom and reading text.

    I like what you found on the web 2.0 website. I found them very interesting like the Photo Peach tool that is for the classroom. I also like the Edmodo social site that's for the classroom and allows the teacher to post grades, speak to parents, student interaction and much more! I could definitely see myself using this in my classroom as well!

    Your post was very detailed and I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the videos we were assigned. I have a lot of the same views and you expressed you ideas very clearly! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the idea of libraries. I think it is a great place to teach students the different between what is reliable and what is not. Like you said, on the internet, anyone could have submitted random information that is not accurate.

    If you were to create a talk show video, what would be the main topics you would want to talk about? I think some important topics would be timing and about putting effort into the work that you do!

    I certainly agree with you on the idea that a teacher's job is to TEACH the students. If we are not there to teach, what are we there for?

    I enjoyed doing the scavenger hunt! Edmodo looks like a great site to use as a teacher. I really liked the quiz options.

    Great post. I enjoyed reading your opinions and your ideas!

    ReplyDelete