Saturday, April 21, 2012

Creativity and Curiosity: My Thoughts - Special Post #12A

Wordle
Creativity and Curiosity

This week we were assigned an additional, special blog post.  About a week ago, while in class, Dr. Strange brought up some questions regarding creativity and curiosity in the classroom.

The first question is: Do schools undermine curiosity and/or creativity in students?  Personally, I believe that schools today inhibit the creativity of students.  I know that some teachers try to help their students excel in creativity, but with standardized testing it is difficult to do this.  Teachers are told that their students must pass these tests, otherwise the schools will not receive the proper funding and such.  This puts tremendous pressure on the teachers to "teach the test."  No longer are the days of students being creative and curious, but students are being shoved information down their throats and being forced what to think.  This puts limitations on their creative minds.

The next question asks: Can a curriculum be developed that increases the curiosity of students? If so, what would be the key components of such a curriculum?  I think such a curriculum is possible.  One way that could help stimulate the students curiosity would be to encourage them to ask questions.  I know in the past I've shied away from raising my hand because of what others would think of my question or answer.  Teachers need to make sure the classroom is inviting and let the students know that it's perfectly okay to ask questions.   I feel that when students ask questions, not only are they learning, but others, including the teacher, will learn as well.  In addition to encouraging them to ask questions, we need to allow the students to work together to come up with solutions on their own.  Whether they work in pairs or on their own, brainstorming and problem solving will allow them to open up that curiosity of learning.

Little Girl Painting
Question three asks: Can a teacher's actions increase the curiosity of students?  If so, what would be those actions?  I think we need to allow the students to think on their own.  I've had teachers in the past who expect me to write down their "answer" otherwise it isn't correct.  This may or may not be the right answer, but it's what they (the teacher) think to be true.  As teachers, we need to open up the doors to allow students to use their creativity freely.  One day as a teacher, I don't want to put words into my students mouth.  I want them to think and act on their own.

The last questions asks: What would help you become more curious?  What role would teachers and/or schools have in that process?  I have always struggled with being creative and curious.  I've always wanted to please my teachers so I've always done what I thought they wanted out of me.  I need to not be afraid of trying new things and to not be afraid of being let down.  I think that teachers and schools need to have more projects that allow the students to show their creative side.  Allow their imaginations to run wild!

2 comments:

  1. " I've always wanted to please my teachers so I've always done what I thought they wanted out of me." What if your teacher wants you to be creative and curious?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot recall a teacher who has really pushed me to be creative and curious. I hope that I can be the kind of teacher who strives to let my students be creative and curious.

    ReplyDelete